How do I get an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) if I do not have a Social Security Number?

If your children have social security number(s) but you do not, then you can use an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) in order to claim the Child Tax Credit.

To apply for an ITIN, you must submit Form W-7 to the IRS along with the required identity verification (like a passport, driver's license, or birth certificate). You can see a full list of identity verification document options listed here under “Supporting Documentation”.

You can submit your W-7 and identity verification documents through the mail (using the address shown on Form W-7), in person at an IRS office, or through a Certified Acceptance Agent.